Washing your hands the key to staying healthy
Washing your hands – the key to staying healthy [OR] How to kill germs and stay healthy with soap and water
Germs can be everywhere..The good news is that not all germs are harmful. In fact, most of them are harmless and some of them are good for us. However, it’s true that viruses and bacteria can lead to the common cold and more serious illnesses such as the food borneE. coli and Salmonella.1Which is why hand washing is so important.
Hand washing works by cleansing the body from pathogens including bacteria and viruses. In everyday life, it prevents infection and illness from spreading between family members and sometimes, through a whole community.
The basic rule is to wash hands:2
- Before preparing food
- After handling uncooked meat and poultry
- Before eating
- After coughing, sneezing, or blowing one's nose into a tissue
- After using the bathroom
- After touching animals or anything in an animal's environment.
Using hand sanitizers to keep hands clean
Another option to keep hands free from harmful germs is the waterless ‘instant’ hand sanitizers. Alcohol based sanitizers act quickly and significantly reduce the number of germs on the skin.2
*THIS IS GENERAL INFOEMATION AND CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR OR PHYSIOTHERAPIST BEFORE STARTING ANY MEDICINE OR EXERCISE.
- Millions of Germs and Bacteria Await Kids at School. NSF International. Sept 2005. Available at http://www.nsf.org/business/newsroom/press_release.asp?p_id=11321. Accessed September 2010
- Wash Your Hands. Centers for Disease Control. Available at
http://www.cdc.gov/Features/HandWashing/. Accessed September 2010.